Friday, January 15, 2010

Happy 2010







So it's a new year and with it comes new adventures (see iceskating pics). We are still to decide if Noelie will be starting Kindergarten later this year. In the meantime, I have become her taxi service. Between birthday parties, dance lessons and now - with the new year- added reading classes and soccer practice and games... it is really getting crazy!

Noelie has finally - FINALLY - broken the 30 lb mark... a mark long exceeded by baby brother. She is growing ever more independent... and busy... I've had to enact the "I have eyes in the back of my head" threat.

For some time she has requested to play soccer. I at first thought it was a passing request, but it keeps coming up so soccer signups it is. She has only had one practice but it was amazing how much better she got within an hour's practice. Of course, I am both partial and ignorant when it comes to the sport... so maybe I'm not the best person to ask:) My only advice, don't run down the field holding the ball in your hands... that's about it for my expertise. Our first game is in mid-February... this will be the real test.

I learned after we registered what her exact expectations were: 1) where's my trophy and 2)when is the pizza party at Chuck E Cheese? I explained there had to be actual 'playing' involved before either lofty goal was attainable. Later that same week I discovered where her obvious affection for the sport stemmed from... OLIVIA. (for those who are not familiar google her... basically a series of children's book now made to cartoon about a Diva Pig.) Olivia loves soccer but decides her team didn't stand out enough as they kept passing the ball to the wrong team so her team decides to adopt red ball gowns as their uniform. Yep. I think my Diva is soon to be disappointed!

Eli is growing more and more... thankfully up more so than out now. He has taken to running (usually away from me). We finally broke down and gave him a big boy hair cut as we felt the 'bowl cut' was bringing too many direct comparisons to his celeb-look-alike... Bam Bam. So now my 1 and a half year old baby looks four instead of three. We went to Mia's 3rd birthday last week and many of the friends there we see only once a year. Well, they were asking when he turned 3. I tried to explain that it would be a year after he turned 2... which will be six months from now... I could read the amazement and utter sympathy for my back - all in one reaction. (ok, maybe that was wishful thinking on the second emotion but someone should feel for me.) He is still lovey dovey but now more love 'em and leave 'em. He'll go for a good hug or kiss and then run away... very quick for his stature! He also has taken to headbutting which has been more of a direct source of my pain than my back these days. He goes in like he wants to give me a smooch... I lean in waiting for it and SMACK headbutts me right square in the nose. This happens a majority of the time... yet I still do not learn... I can now see a pattern similar to my dating years. Ha ha!

Lastly we survived New Year's fireworks without much incident. As many of you know our neighborhood is just outside the city limits where it becomes legal to pop fireworks. Our first home was horrible as it backed up to a church and school parking lot (aka launch pad). This neighborhood is much better aside from the house of middle school boys that moved three doors down. Of course they waited until after 10 pm to start popping fireworks... and started an entire week before New Years with the arsenal (by this I mean tied many fireworks together to light them off). Well I nicely asked them - after the third day under fire - to please stop as they are waking the baby and giving my dog a nervous breakdown. To which they responded by looking at me if I had a third eye (and likely a few middle fingers). I just knew we were going to receive a poop bomb delivery on our doorstep for killing the fun... but no poop yet and they did actually stop. I say yet as I saw the sheriff's office car over there just yesterday so I'm sure revenge will be coming when I least expect it... stay tuned.

No comments: