Monday, March 9, 2009

Jet setters

OK that's a stretch as I am pretty sure actual jets need to be involved in order to be jet setting! Last weekend Jason and I had the rare opportunity to leave the kids with my parents and take a little road trip near Austin to a bed and breakfast. It was so nice to get a little break and a little more sleep. Of course, our trip was not without complication. The wildfires closed down the highway in which we had directions to get there so we had to figure out an alternate route around Smithville. Let's just say it was interesting (a major dose of impatience and a navigation system we are not too versed in using) but we did finally make it. If you guys are ever looking for a place to getaway try Inn Above Onion Creek, it's nice and quiet! We did have time to try out the hiking trails... and neglected to check the degree of difficulty or catch the walking sticks outside of the inn. The one we started on was, to put it mildly, steep. Now if you know me you know my lack of gracefulness rears its ugly head on a moments notice (my bruises from falling down the stairs in high heels still have yet to completely fade). I managed to slide down the slopes safely and not let the momentum drop me off the cliff. Poor Jason was about to have a heart attack watching me navigate the loose rocks... but if he was looking for a good way to off me after the detour frustration, he missed his chance:) Ha!

This weekend we made a fast trip into Orange for the day. Of course, in true Ellestad fashion we got hung up nearly an hour late due to unforeseen road construction and our noon arrival turned into much later. This makes for a very interesting challenge with a little one just potty trained. Noelie was banned from all fluid intake until we were moving again:) We dropped in to surprise my Grandma Allen and NuNu. I think they were pretty surprised at Eli's growth since Christmas. Eli and MawMaw hung out in bed and Noelie spent most of the time bossing poor NuNu around. I think she's making up for her small size with some big attitude!

Next we were off, and truly late, to Damon's birthday. For those of you that don't know Damon he's my bff since Kindergarten Carla's little bro and also an usher in my wedding. I've known him since he was three or four and in underoos (I'm sure he'll appreciate the underoo memory) and he is now married and expecting his first little girl. heh, heh... Things are about to get verrry interesting for him! I try to make it to his annual bday crawfish boil every year but it usually falls on our anniversary when we're out of town. Well, I am so glad I made it this year as many of my OF boys - all friends of Damon as well- were there with their families. It is so funny to see Noelie mixing it up with their kids now (while Eli was taken on parade through the party by Aunt Carla and anyone else who dared to lift him). It's funny I met most of these friends when I was only a little older than Noelie is now and here we are, decades later and our kids are now playing together. Man, I'm getting old!

No comments: